I’ve been “the creative one” my whole life. I spent my career building user-friendly products and experiences, and I’m passionate about using design to solve some of our planet’s big problems. I speak and write about behavioral design for good at places such as TEDx, IxDA, SXSW, Medium, GOOD magazine, Stanford d.school, and VentureBeat.
As the head of design at Opower, I built products that nudged people to use less energy, with big impact: Opower has saved 11 billion kWh (!) of energy and $1B USD across 50 million homes. In my past life, I spent 15 years designing user experiences across multiple industries, from consumer electronics to organic food. In my past past life, I was a software engineer, designing interactive software like CD-ROMs (remember those?) and global enterprise systems.
After leaving Opower and taking an exploratory year, I started working with mission-driven startups and non-profits. I help product and program leaders apply design thinking to their strategies and help organizations build thriving design teams and culture.
Other fun facts: I've sailed across French Polynesia, I'm fluent in Ashtanga and Kundalini, and I've meditated for 7 days in silence (twice). I love cooking communal vegetarian meals, painting tiny watercolors, and helping people organize their lives.
We may be a good fit if...
- You're creating a new product, program, campaign, or behavioral intervention, and you need to understand your users to inform strategic direction.
- You're a startup with a small and awesome design team, and they could use help with process, prioritization, design principle creation, and mentorship.
- You're a non-profit and want to train your team in best practices in user experience and design thinking.
- You need to hire a designer and want to better understand how to define, recruit and evaluate for your position.
- You're an agency and need contract support on a project basis for user research and design strategy.
- Your team wants an introduction to behavioral design principles.
I won't be helpful if...
- You need an experienced hands-on UX or visual designer to create deliverables or embed into your product team. This isn't me anymore, but I may know of talented designers to refer to you.