Hi, I'm Deena.
I’ve been “the creative one” my whole life. I spent my career building user-friendly products and experiences, and I’m passionate about using design to solve some of our planet’s big problems. I speak and write about behavioral design at places such as TEDx, IxDA, SXSW, Medium, GOOD magazine, Stanford d.school, and VentureBeat.
As the head of design at Opower, I built products that nudged people to use less energy, with big impact: Opower has saved 11 billion kWh (!) of energy and $1B USD across 50 million homes. In my past life, I spent 15 years designing user experiences across multiple industries, from consumer electronics to organic food. In my past past life, I was a software engineer, designing interactive software like CD-ROMs (remember those?) and global enterprise systems.
Following an exploratory year, I’m currently working with socially mission-driven startups and non-profits. I love helping product leaders apply design thinking to their strategies, teaching ethical design to the next generation of designers, and helping leaders build thriving design teams and culture.
I specialize in:
- Leading User-Centered Design training workshops with cross-functional teams
- Teaching Behavioral Design to product teams, through seminars and hands-on workshops
- Advising start-ups on building design teams - team culture, recruiting, design process
- Hands-on research to inform program/product design strategy
- Coaching and mentoring design managers and ICs
Other fun facts: I've sailed across French Polynesia, I'm fluent in Ashtanga and Kundalini, and I've meditated for 7 days in silence (twice). I love cooking communal vegetarian meals, painting tiny watercolors, and helping people organize their lives.
Be in touch.