I am an independent strategist and researcher based in San Francisco with 20 years of experience, an expertise in Behavioral Design, and a focus on civic tech, equity and environmental work. I advise startups, non-profits, and product teams on design strategy and best practices.
I’m passionate about using design to solve some of our planet’s big problems. As the head of design at Opower, I built products that nudged people to use less energy, with huge impact: Opower has saved 12 billion kWh (!) of energy across millions of homes. I speak and write about “behavioral design for good” at places such as TEDx, IxDA, SXSW, Medium, GOOD magazine, Stanford d.school, and VentureBeat.
Fun facts: I've sailed across French Polynesia, I'm fluent in Ashtanga and Kundalini, and I've meditated for 7 days in silence (twice). I love cooking communal vegetarian meals, painting tiny watercolors, writing haikus, and helping people organize their lives.
We may be a good fit if...
- You're creating something new (product, program, experience, campaign, behavioral intervention) and you need to understand your users and create your design strategy.
- You're a small and awesome design team and could use help with process, prioritization, design principle creation, and mentorship.
- You're a non-tech org and want to train your team in best practices in UX/design/agile thinking.
- You need to hire a designer and want to better understand how to define, recruit and evaluate for your position.
- Your team wants an introduction to behavioral design principles.
I won't be helpful if...
- You need an experienced hands-on UX or visual designer to create deliverables or embed into your product team. This isn't me anymore, but I may know of talented designers to refer to you.